Monday, February 21, 2011

On retirement

I dislike the word "quit" for so many reasons. It has this overall negative tone that I like to distance myself from. Quitting is something one does when faced with a challenge, not when they've accepted the end of something.

So, here on out I will use the word RETIRE.

I have retired from writing. It has been a very, what word should I use here? Rumbustious two plus years. It's over.

I'm no writer.

I am a mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend. I am a hard worker, a lousy fiance and a loyal pet owner. I am a bitch, a shit-stirrer, a dreamer.

Those are things that I am.

What I am not: a writer, an author, a creator. I am not an artist. I am not someone who can gather words and easily spit them out into Word. I am not that person. I'm not a craftswoman.

It's been a painful road in admitting this to myself. Believe me. It breaks my heart admitting that you all have been seriously duped. I'm pretty sure that anyone could have seen this coming. When's the last time I posted something of actual quality?? Exactly.

I have taken what has been said, the good and the bad, about my writing and filed it away into neat little categories. When I started doing this in my mind I thought the good would outweigh the bad. Boy was I wrong. It's amazing just how much weight something bad brings into the situation. Let's say every light and fluffy comment that I've read about my work weighs 1lb. Every single negative comment, remark or situation weighs 10lbs. When we put it all together, well, I'm sure you guys are smart enough to do math.

So, those that have doubted me. You were right and you win. I am no writer. I will stop pretending to be so I don't "disgrace" your craft.

I am, however, a simple storyteller. Whether I want to continue doing that, that's up to me. But as for now I'm officially RETIRED.

Posts containing links to where you can find the endings of the stories that I have started will be available. The text itself will not be posted on The Feisty Tales but the links to where they can be found will be. And they will be password protected.

Thanks for all your support. I've made so many good friends through writing. Most of whom I still love and adore.

PS: I'm still editing Freaky Temptation for the photo contest winner. Sorry it's taken so long. Life stinks sometimes :(

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed your stories. Would love to read the ending to Freaky Temptations. Sorry to say I have never left a comment on either of the boards because it always kicks me out when I try. Hoping your retirement doesn't last. I think there are more people who enjoy your writing then not. Negativity always seems to have a more lasting effect on us. We could get 1000 compliants but one negative comment will always stand out the most.

Hope you will reconsider your decision.

Kathleen (DW_IGOTIT_4U)

deb's 'verse said...

ok? so the difference between writer and storyteller? (guess i should google it. lol) we read books/stories to take us out of our normal grind, and think of something different for a while. we are not us.. we are invested so that at that moment we are the ones gettin sexed up by the hot guy, or have the fairtale princess guy dolting on us being the prince we all dream of. good stories should do that! your writing HAS DONE that for alot of us. at least if we let our minds do that. it brings squeals, elevated heart rates and sweating that requires cold showers.
titles should not define you. i'm sorry that you are going thru this, and wish i could help. i hope that one day you will be able to finish your stories. cuz really ...that's a book to me. beginning, middle and an end. struggling to see the difference, but it doesn't matter what we think. it's what you do. so with that... im sad to see your stories end, i love ya, chic. and will be here when you come out of retirement for the big finish. you take care.
"passion: it's what drives us." i hope that you reconnect with yours. love to you, always. debbie

Sarah G. said...

This post makes my heart hurt. :( All I can say is that I think you are selling yourself way, WAY short, chica. :( I'm not sure what or who got into your head and made you feel the way that you do, but, if I could, I would do anything to remove it. I'm sure you're tired of hearing me repeat myself, but I can say with the utmost sincerity that I have read a lot of stuff in this genre and yours massacres ALL of it. HANDS DOWN. It is worlds above better, and more interesting, and REAL, and that is because of YOU. The fact that you aren't seeing or believing it is gut-wrenching. I truly hope you reconsider retirement...I do. But, if you don't, I respect your decision. In the end, what matters the most is that I met you through your stories and that I had the opportunity to experience and enjoy them to the extent that I have.

I love you and am always here for you...

xoxo,
Sarah

Unknown said...

so why the goodbye and not just a hiatus until things cool down a bit. you know when you do that more people just jump on the feistywagon and want to read your stuff.

baby, when you smile the whole world stops and stares for a while. do you know why? because its a rare occasion. thats why. and that aint right. because its like sunshine.

Post a Comment