Thursday, November 25, 2010

PHOTO CONTEST! Please read.

Out of anger/jealousy/general retardation/feistiness/being-a-Scorpio I tweeted that the photo contest was cancelled.

It's not.

Although, I have to say, I'm sad that it only had about 1/3 of the participation that I had hoped. 2/3 of the girls that expressed an interest didn't participate. At all. 

Not to bitch, but let me bitch for a second lol

I'm kind of a busy person. I like to do things for fun that I think will distract me from every day life. Every one does, right? Even though I deny it up and down, I'm a people pleaser. The more people that are having fun at my expense (whether it be time, money, whatever), the happier that I am.

I created the game to be a little bit more original than what I had thought. I was going to go with just a straight up riddle game. But I thought that making it a scavenger hunt thing was like, way cooler than just guessing riddles. So, I made the riddles easier than I was initially going to. I came up with the alias cards because I needed to know that the participant took the picture and didn't just scour the intrawebz for something that fit. 

This took... well.... time. And I loved every minute of it! I loved getting help with the quotes ( : ) ), I loved naming every one, designing the cards, even buying the materials to make them.

But, dudes!! Those cards took me a long time! A friend of mine and I sat around creating this game. And although I loved the company, it was a lot of time.

And 2/3 of the participation? For that much work? I'll always write. Ever since I started, I thought I only had one story in me. But now that I have a few going, I know that I need to finish those. I also know where I'm going to take two of the stories that I'm doing. I still don't know about ALR. It's weird and I need to really sit down, re read it and think of how I want it to go. I think we all can predict the ending but how we get there, that's the point. Even though I totally hate predictable endings.

Anyway, I'll always write but I'm not so sure that I'll ever host another contest again. Maybe it was the time of year? Maybe it was the riddles? Whatever it was, I'd like feedback as to why those that expressed interest just didn't do any of it. 

Why take the time to put up this blog? Because, personally? Yeah, I took it personally. I know that people get busy. I know that I'm being stupid and dramatic. But it took my TIME. I have kids. I work a full time job. I had people spend their time in helping me create this game. I visited several office supply stores and two WalMarts and a Target looking for what I needed. BAH! I'm being such a butthead.

Anyway, I guess... my feelings are a little hurt that it didn't generate as MUCH participation as I had hoped. BUT, every time I get a photo my Blackberry under the feistytales gmail account? I get giddy and stupid and open it IMMEDIATELY!

I'll post scores this Monday. :) I may also extend the contest a week since I know Thanksgiving can get a little hectic. :)

I love you guys and hope you don't hate me after reading this.

5 comments:

Joe'stwistedbunny said...

Personally, I'm sooo glad I signed up for your contest and I'm really glad i didn't see your tweet! I've been running all over the place taking pictures, rereading stories & realizing I hadn't caught up in ages, and racking my brain on some of your questions cuz they were HARD! A couple of them are difficult to find in bumf*ck Indiana but instead of my usual holiday blues I've been busy with thinking of creative ways to take pictures. Woman you & this contest rock! I was so excited when I got my card I even took pics and showed it off to my friends. Lol If you ever do another contest, I am so there! Thank you for all the work you went to to get this up and running & for making my brain work harder!


Love ya!
VioletBunny

Sarah G. said...

No need to apologize for feeling the way you do! :) I can tell you put a TON of work into this...and also that you tried to create something fun and interesting for us all. It's understandable to be bummed if it didn't pan out the way that everyone seemed to express that it would. I'm personally *super* impressed with the creativity and love that was put into this and am thankful to you for doing it! :) Now I just gotta step it up and try to eeek out some more points. ;) I know I won't win, but I've had a TON of fun! xoxo

jennifer said...

I started off strong....been a slacker lately tho :( It is an awesome contest and it has been a blast being part of it. Those who didn't or don't participate are REALLY missing out!

deb's 'verse said...

yay! i was hoping you would extend it a bit! i lost a few days somewhere. im like...wait. what's today? lol. love ya girl! this rocks. you did a great job and im glad that you made it so much fun!

Erin said...

I want to say thanks too for all of the work that you put into getting this contest together.I started off strong,had to work a 12 day stretch in there, then had a death in the family and haven't been back since. But-because of the extension, I am hoping to eek in a few more points!What I really want to say thanks for is the writing!I always look forward to new things by you to read!

Post a Comment